Thursday, January 12, 2012

M.C. Escher

This great artist was one of my "discoveries" of the last year.
I'd like to say what features and techniques I really like in his works (before I forget it!).

First of all, I enjoyed Escher's works when he used 2D and 3D pictures on one composition.

For example, we can see on "Drawing Hands" that one hand is drawing another. 
The fingers and the hand are very realistic but in the direction of the wrist the hand is smoothly becoming plain and less 3D, it's loosing small features. And no-one knows which hand was first and started to draw another: it seems that they are on the same stage of work.





Another great work with different dimensions is "Reptiles".













Second point is that Escher played with perspective and created the impossible constructions. M.C. Escher was not just an artist, he was a mathematician! You see the picture, everything is fine from the first glance. But if you start to look better you understand that there can't be such staircases or one floor is connected with another one by some incredible degree, or the pillars must have a spiral shape.

I really like "Waterfall" work in which waterfall produces itself.
















In "Ascending and Descending" people are walking in circles. They ascend and descend, ascend and descend again and there is no end to their action.













Third point, he produced lithographs. I find it difficult process to made such prints so I respect his diligence.

Last point and the point I was so crazy about is his works with irregular divisions of the plane. It's amazing! The main work on this theme is "Metamorphosis" (I and II - they are wonderful). The buildings are turning into symmetrical figures which are turning into living beings! The plane full of lizards, some fishes who are eating ships or angels and demons .


I'd like to see some of his works once. But what I want more is to visit his museum in the Hague, the Netherlands. They created a lot of funny things that are playing with relativity and dimensions. It must be a place that can blow up your mind. And I like it! =)

Here are some quick links:
A website about M.C. Escher
Escher Museum (in English)

All pictures in this post were copied from http://www.mcescher.com.

No comments: